It's been a few days since our last post, so I wanted to give you a quick update on how Jude is doing.
In my last post I shared some new things the docs were trying out with Jude...so, here comes the bullet list again! :)
- The "bridge" medication has been very helpful in encouraging Jude's little body to tolerate the weaning of his original medication. He continues to have withdrawal symptoms but they are not as pronounced as they were more than a week ago. We are thankful that the "bridge" medication has been helpful for Jude and we are hopeful that it will continue to help Jude take steps towards being medication free!
- We can't say for sure that the medication used to prevent/treat Jude's pulmonary hypertension (PH) is working but it does seem that Jude is more comfortable and less tense. As I mentioned before, we will know more about the medications effectiveness for Jude in a few weeks. Please pray with us for these results.
- Jude continues to struggle with his oral aversion, but Brian and I (along with Jude's occupational therapists) have worked with Jude over the last several days to encourage good oral stimulation. This afternoon Jude allowed more oral stimulation with his paci than I've seen in quite some time. It was encouraging to me and left me feeling a little more hopeful about the progress that Jude is making with oral stimulation. One of Jude's occupational therapists explained to me that babies from newborn to three months old usually have the natural instinct to want to suck/nurse/enjoy a paci....but after three months they CHOOSE to continue to suck/nurse/enjoy a paci. So, I have this fear of Jude hitting the three month mark without displaying the desire to suck/nurse/enjoy a paci. I KNOW that he can eventually learn the desire and want to CHOOSE to suck/nurse/enjoy a paci...but I worry a lot about it. Please pray for Jude's oral aversion and his innate desire to suck/nurse/enjoy a paci (how many times can I type that?!). Please pray that I will relax and trust the Lord's plan for Jude's future as an eater!
- Jude's bed is now by the window in the NNICU! The nurses thought that getting Jude by the window would allow for Jude to start "working out" his days and nights. Our little man is really enjoying the sunshine and cannot get enough of the sunlight peaking through during the day. I love watching his little eyes looking out the window when I hold him. I talk to him about how much he will one day enjoy playing in the backyard with his big sister.
- Jude is GROWING! He is already over 12 pounds! Big boy!
Goodnight, dear friends! I hope to post some new photos of Jude soon! I am leaving you with another hymn that I love and that has been on my mind throughout the day today. I am so thankful that the Lord is providing me with verses and lyrics to remind me of his presence and love.
O the deep, deep love of Jesus, vast, unmeasured, boundless, free!
Rolling as a mighty ocean in its fullness over me!
Underneath me, all around me, is the current of Thy love
Leading onward, leading homeward to Thy glorious rest above!
- S. Trevor Francis