Thursday, April 5, 2012

Where to start?

Hello again,

I am going to try to give you the shortest version of the many events that happened with Jude today. I hope I can clearly share with you what has happened...I am just so tired.

This morning Jude's blood gas was so-so and in rounds we discussed adjusting the settings on his ventilator to support him better. Jude seemed to be in a really good place with his sedation- just enough to keep him calm, but not too much so that he couldn't be somewhat alert and aware. I spent the first half of my visit talk to him and stroking his little head. Jude's nurse (Erin, who we love!) told me that I could hold him later in the afternoon. I was thrilled that I could snuggle with him despite the fact that he has to be on the ventilator. So, we planned for me to hold Jude after I ate lunch and I left the NNICU for an hour or so.

I returned to the NNICU and the unit secretary told me that I could go to Jude's bedside but that Erin wanted me to wait to enter his bed space because they were getting a routine X-ray. I stopped for just a few minutes to wash my hands and spoke to a few nurses as I made my way back to Jude's bed. In the time between when I entered the NNICU and when I arrived at the area near Jude's bed Erin picked Jude up to allow for the X-ray equipment to be placed under Jude. When she picked Jude up he began to freak out. So much so that he began to bear down and block his airway. Therefore the ventilator was unable to provide Jude the support he needs to breathe. As I turned the corner, I saw them "bagging" Jude and giving him breaths with the manual ventilator. I could just see his little legs kicking...he was fighting BIG time. They were able to successfully ventilate him with the "bag" and then place him back on the ventilator. But as soon as they placed him back on the ventilator blocked his own airway again and they had to "bag" him again! It was scary to watch...but I was also so thankful for the composure, speed and skills that the nurse and reparatory therapists demonstrated as they worked on Jude. In the end they were able to get him back on the ventilator again. I visited with him and hoped that he would settle down and rest.

After a half hour or so, the results of Judes X-ray came up and the doctor came by to share with me that Jude's right lung (his strong one) had collapsed and that the incident that just occurred likely was caused by this. In response to Jude's lung collapse they decided to place Jude's right side up and deliver CPT to Jude's chest in hopes of opening up his lung so that it could start working again. They got another gas and it was the best blood gas that Jude has had in quite some time! In face in was within the range of his normal baseline. We were in shock! Thank you to all of you who lifted up prayers for Jude after receiving the email my mom sent asking for prayer. Needless to say we were thrilled with the improved blood gas.

So, I headed back to the house and celebrated by kiddo bowling and cupcakes with Annabelle and my mom. (We had a great time!) But as we were getting out of the van, I got a phone call from the NNICU on my cell phone. It was one of Jude's doctors and she shared with me that Jude's had extubated (removed his ventilator tube) himself and that they had to "bag" him again. My heart dropped. Thankfully, he handled being bagged well and they were able to sucessfully re-intubate him again without much trouble. Jude was resting again and they planned to check another blood gas after he settled and rested again.

Jude's next blood gas was the best blood gas that we've had since before his Broviac surgery...what a miracle! Despite all of the craziness that Jude experienced today he ended the day on a good note. We are thankful and hopeful that Jude will continue to have good blood gases and that the ventilator will continue to help him.

Please pray for Jude. He is still very, very sick. And we are still worried for him. There are so many things we want to ask for you to pray for....but tonight I want to ask you to pray for Jude as you feel led. Will you share with us the specific things that you are praying for? It will give us great encouragement to know what the Lord is bringing to all of you to pray for. We know the Lord is hearing all of our prayers.

God bless you all.

18 comments:

  1. Praying for those who surround him, care for him, for their lives, personally, so that they are fully prepared to care for him on every shift. Praying for staff, those who clean the hospital, what they bring to work, their mindset, and their spirit. That they are fully present and prayerfully present and that all who surround Jude are gathering in His name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry you are on this ride of ups and downs. Jude seems to be full of ironic surprises. I'm so happy to hear that the blood gas was so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying that Jude will allow the doctors, nurses and equipment to help him become stronger. He is so strong (he must get that from his parents). I hope he won't fight the help. I pray for comfort for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Lord,
    I pray for a miracle as only you can provide for Jude's little body! I pray for a peace and comfort as only you can provide for Jude's tired mommy! I pray for strength as only you can provide for Jude's torn daddy!
    The trials of this family are tremendous, Lord; but in times of such turmoil, we know you want us to be the closest to you! I pray for the love as only you can provide for a family growing weary!
    In His Lovely Name, I pray!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Lord, I am praying to you for sweet Baby Jude, Lord you know him well as you have been healing him and loving him from above. I pray for you to keep holding Jude up and giving him strength for his little body to heal, to rest peacefully as he seems to be such a fighter. Lord I know this little baby Jude is going through a lot in his short time since birth so that tells me you are preparing him for great work through his life. I can't wait to see what you have in store for him Lord. Please also give Rose, Brian, and all the family the strength and comfort they need through all of this. Lord we know all of this is possible through you and you love. Please keep the doctors and nurses, and staff sharpe on the skills and treatment for Jude. All in your name Amen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying for strength for everyone, wisdom and healing. Praising Him in all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praying that the Lord will daily do more than you could ever ask or imagine in Jude's progress and healing, that you and Brian will receive strength and rest and energy so much so that you can only say, "this is truly of the Lord." For the medical staff that clearly loves and cares for Jude, that they would continue to be wise and calm in the face of whatever challenges may come (what a praise for their response today!). And lastly for Jude's comfort and peace, that he would know how very much he is loved.
    Y'all are always on my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Praying that you'll be upheld by the Father's everlasting arms and that Jude would rest and not be distressed. Praying for healing and for God to perform a miracle on Jude's behalf.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am praying that God will heal Jude's body with His very breath each and every day. I pray that he gives you and Brian the energy you need for each other, Jude and Annabelle each and every day. I pray that He will continue to reveal Himself...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am amazed each time I see that you have taken the time to post something. Thank you for the updates.

    I will be praying:
    --for Jude's healing
    --that you are able to get the rest/nutrition/love you need to be strong in this trial
    --that Annabelle gets all the love and attention she needs right now
    --that you soon move from "if we bring Jude home" back to "when we bring Jude home"
    and that today will be a very good day for all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Heavenly Father-
    Thank You so much for this wonderful family. We have all been blessed by their story and praise You for the wonderful strength and encouragement that You have given them during this unimaginable trial. Lord, we thank You that You have promised to hold us in every situation and we ask that You make Your presence felt especially close for Rose, Brian, Annabelle and Jude.
    Jesus, we are believing in you, as THE Healer, for complete restoration of Jude's tiny body. We trust in Your plan, God, that you will deliver him from this struggle and bring complete healing. Lord, we bring him to Your feet, just as the crowd in Matt 15:30, for complete and miraculous healing not only in the areas that we know but also in the days, weeks, months and years to come. We pray that Jude is a child in which many miracles will be performed on Your behalf and that You are even now working in his body to heal his lungs, his digestion, his CDH and his immune system. Lord we pray that when Dr. H is able to go in to perform the next repair that he will be absolutely amazed at Your work, that you will have repaired Jude's tiny organs to a thing of beauty.
    Father we also pray specifically for Dr. H and his family. We ask that You give him the rest that he needs outside of the hospital to give him even renewed strength. That You will clear his mind of any doubts or question about what Your plan of care is for Jude and that he will listen whole heartedly for Your word and guidance.
    Thank You so much for delivering Jude into the hands of such a wonderful medical team. All of the doctors and nurses that You have provided have made a world of difference to Rose and Brian. Thank You for the time that they have given to Jude's care Lord and even for the time that they have all given to the reassurance and encouragement for Brian and Rose. Lord we know that You use these teams of people to speak to us when we may not hear anything else. Thank You for them.
    Finally God, we ask that you just bring peace, rest and endurance for Rose, Brian and Annabelle. Lord, only You and they know exactly what they are going through on a daily basis. While we can all somewhat feel what they are going through, only You know how best to comfort them. Lord, I pray specifically that you will continue to bring people into their lives who can build them up, comfort them, care for them and take care of the things that they can not focus on. Lord, I pray for provision in meals, travel expenses, medical expenses and other living expenses. Thank You so much for giving Brian a work situation that has worked with his travel back and forth, however, Lord, we ask that You will work in that to make it even easier for them.
    Thank You again for what a blessing this family is and for the testimony they have shared with their family, friends and even strangers. Thank You for bringing them into our lives, although virtually, to remind us of your Glory and Victory. Lord we trust that You will heal Jude, completely and entirely, in Your time. We give You the praise and honor for all that You have done and continue to do for him. We love You and praise You in Jesus' name.
    Amen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Be assured of our prayers for Jude today! As grandparents,we know exactly what you are going through as we walked this journey with our daughter. Our Bryson had CDH along with no esophogus. He had two major surgeries one week apart from each other. From two who have walked in your shoes, these are trying days with uncertainty in the natural realm but in the spiritual realm we know whose on the throne and will come through for you! We stand in confident agreement that our Father who gave Jude life also gave him purpose and so we stand before the throne with you in total agreement that healing and victory will be Yours!!!
    Even though we don't know you, we are connected by a loving God. Please know we love you and many are praying.

    For I know the plans I have for Jude," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper him and not to harm him, plans to give him hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. Jeremiah 29:11-12

    ReplyDelete
  13. The chorus of this MercyMe song caught my attention this morning: "Jesus come and break my fear. Awake my heart and take my tears." I though of you and Brian through this roller coaster you are going through.

    My prayers for Jude are that he relaxes, rests, and turns his fight internal to heal, that his doctors and staff continue surrounding Jude with tender care and knowledge, that our Father continues to hold Jude with you, that our Father continues to give you and Brian peace, and that Jude turns this roller coaster upward to full recovery and going home with you.

    Our prayers are constant and will not stop.

    Take care, Colt's Mimi

    "The Hurt & The Healer"

    Why? The question that is never far away
    The healing doesn’t come from the explained
    Jesus please don’t let this go in vain
    You’re all I have All that remains

    So here I am What’s left of me
    Where glory meets my suffering

    I’m alive Even though a part of me has died
    You take my heart and breathe it back to life
    I’ve fallen into Your arms open wide
    When the hurt and the healer collide

    Breathe Sometimes I feel it’s all that I can do
    Pain so deep that I can hardly move
    Just keep my eyes completely fixed on You
    Lord take hold and pull me through

    So here I am What’s left of me
    Where glory meets my suffering

    I’m alive Even though a part of me has died
    You take my heart and breathe it back to life
    I’ve fallen into your arms open wide
    When the hurt and the healer collide

    It’s the moment when humanity
    Is overcome by majesty
    When grace is ushered in for good
    And all our scars are understood
    When mercy takes its rightful place
    And all these questions fade away
    When out of the weakness we must bow
    And hear You say “It’s over now”

    I’m alive Even though a part of me has died
    You take my heart and breathe it back to life
    I’ve fallen into your arms open wide
    When The hurt and the healer collide

    Jesus come and break my fear
    Awake my heart and take my tears
    Find Your glory even here
    When the hurt and the healer collide [x2]

    Jesus come and break my fear
    Awake my heart and take my tears
    Find Your glory even here

    ReplyDelete
  14. The LORD is trustworthy in all he promises
    and faithful in all he does.
    The LORD upholds all who fall
    and lifts up all who are bowed down.
    The eyes of all look to you,
    and you give them their food at the proper time.
    You open your hand
    and satisfy the desires of every living thing.(Psalm145)
    Praying that the Lord will be faithful, uphold, lift up, give, open His hand and satisfy our desires for life and healing for Jude, rest, hope and encouragement for you, wisdom, skill, compassion and faith for his medical team.

    ReplyDelete
  15. All the ups and downs of NICU life are so, so hard. It seems your little guy has a fighting spirit though. Be thankful for that even though it causes trouble sometimes. Our little guy was a tube fighter too, he often blocked off his airway and had to be bagged on the ventilator. I remember how hard those times were on my heart. Praying that you have peace today. Praying that your little man and his fighting spirit show those doctors whats up and that he come off the ventilator soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I prayed that by the end of this weekend, he will no longer need the conventional vent. For strength for Jude as he gets ready for surgery, supernatural strength and peace for mom and dad. That there would be NO scaring inside his body. That his bowel is NOT fused together. That his lung opens back up quickly. For all infection to leave his body. For God to continue to reveal himself there and there will be NO doubt to those doctors who is in control. That Jude will come home.

    Amen.

    Liz, mama to Finley and Rowan
    www.finelyanabelle.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Easter, Jude! Christ rose today that you might live! By his stripes you WILL be healed. Praying for you, sweet boy. And your brave and loving parents and sister. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Praying always for stability for Jude, for him to build strength and weather the downs well. And I pray that today, specifically, is a good day. I also pray for endurance for you. One of the toughest things for me in the CDH journey was waiting. I am very impatient and cannot stand to wait. And my waiting was nothing compared to yours. I feel like I would have an urgency in my heart to get the surgery done, to get him on the road to recovery again, to see the light at the end of the tunnel towards home. But yet you have to be patient and wait and wait for the best time. Many hugs and prayers for endurance and strength and peace in that waiting. I know Jude will kick butt when he gets there.
    Hugs,
    Jennifer
    Mom to Dakota 12-25-2008
    RCDH survivor

    ReplyDelete