Today was a day of rest for Jude. The doctors wanted to focus on keeping Jude comfortable and resting now that he is recovering from his surgery. Since last night Jude has been in quite a bit of pain so the nurses and doctors have been watching him closely to try to find the right dosage to keep Jude comfortable.
Jude's nurse, Leslie, took wonderful care of him today and she was very attentive to his needs. We are so thankful for Leslie. She has been Jude's nurse several times since Jude's early ECMO days. After following him closely it seemed like Leslie found a "happy spot" for Jude's pain medication and Jude slept for 2.5 hours! After his little snooze he woke up calm and was looking around. It made me so happy to see him relaxed and awake.
Jude's settings are similar to the settings that he was on before surgery. They are not "weaning" him from the ventilator just yet. Right now they want to provide him with plenty of time to rest.
Here is what you can pray for:
1. Comfort for Jude- Please pray that Jude is free from pain as much as possible. Please pray that his doctors and nurses will be extra vigilant in observing is Jude is experiencing pain.
2. Rest - Pray that Jude has plenty of opportunities to rest in the next several days. It can be tough for anyone to rest at the hospital!
3. Jude's lungs- Now that Jude's CDH repair has been completed we begin the waiting game to see what Jude's lungs can do. Right now the focus is on healing and resting but soon they will start challenging his lungs. Please pray that his lungs will "grow" and strengthen enough to give Jude what he needs.
4. Pulmonary hypertension - Please continue to pray that Jude does not encounter this problem again. At this point, there is no indication that he is being plagued by pulmonary hypertension but it could happen. Please ask the Lord to spare Jude from this medical problem.
5. Please pray for Brian- He is quite sick and spent most of the day in bed. He is on antibiotics and is doing his best to rest as much as possible. Please pray that he will be healed soon.
Update: I just called and spoke to Jude's nurse (at 9:45pm) and she said that his blood gases were beautiful and that he has been resting well the whole evening! So thankful for this report!
But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
(2 Corinthians 12:9 ESV)