Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Quick Update -- Please Pray for Jude's Infection

I just got off the phone with Jude's nurse for today. Here's a quick rundown on what I learned:

  • Ultrasounds of Jude's head and his IVP (blood vessel going up to his heart) look good and clear. Praise God!
  • Jude's ECMO settings have been increased to give him some extra support. He's been through so much in the last 36 hours that this isn't a big surprise. Pray that the machine gives him what he needs!
  • Two cultures have confirmed that Jude has an infection in his bloodstream. It's likely that the organism had its origins in the fluid removed from Jude's abdomen, which was rife with sugar and thus conducive to growth. The lab has a partial identification of the organism and has started Jude on broad range antibiotics, but more time will be need to ID the exact organism in his body. Please pray that the identification will be swift, that measures can be put in place to fight it quickly, and that Jude's little body, as weakened as it is, can withstand this infection with little or no damage.

Jude continues to encounter obstacles, but we know that our God is good and mighty to save, so we look forward to seeing how He will work through this next stage.

Stay tuned!

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for updating us about your precious boy. I don't know you but I am praying for Jude! I simply can not imagine what you are going through. Please know that so many of us are praying for your baby.
    Leah in Dallas, TX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello I found your blog and hope to encourage you that God is near and He hears your worries, thoughts, and prayers. My daughter Ava was born in 2006 with CDH. Life as we knew it changed. She's battled many things. THERE IS HOPE! Know that if you'd like to talk to someone whose walked this road I am ALWAYS here for you. I also have started a page on facebook for CDH parents called, "Raising Healthy Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia Children. https://www.facebook.com/raisingcdhkids

    Our blog is http://avaslifewithcdh.blogspot.com

    Prayers are bring sent for your son Jude and your family also.

    ~Terri Helmick
    mycdhlife@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyday Jude reminds me that I need to thank God for my life and for the life of those around me. I don't do that enough, thank you Jude for being such a fighter and reminding me to be grateful and keeping me on my toes. This boy is hardcore. He is powerful. He is a miracle, through and through.

    I'm a complete stranger to you all. My friend, Misty Miller, has asked for prayers for Jude. I have been praying daily (sometimes more than once or twice and sometimes for hours at at time) for Jude, and Rose and Brian. I've never met any of you, and don't really need to. I know that God is a powerful God and he is already protecting Jude. I will continue to pray and we will continue to learn from Jude. Thanks little guy, keep fighting and keep teaching us.

    Paul Desmond
    Spartanburg, SC

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm amazed at how God answered prayers about the pleural effusion. Praying so hard for this infection to be fought off quickly, and accurately and well. I'm a friend of Rachel Haan's, and I mentioned you to friend Nancy when I realized you would be at MUSC together. Praying hard for little Jude, and you, Brian, and Rose. Annabelle too.
    I Cor. 1:10 He has delivered us from such a deadly peril, and he will deliver us. On him we have set our hope that he will continue to deliver us, 11 as you help us by your prayers. Then many will give thanks on our behalf for the gracious favor granted us in answer to the prayers of many.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband and I are praying fervently for your little Jude, Brian & Rose, and have been since Chrissy Hardy alerted us to his needs. We are also praying for the grandson of friends in Florida, baby Bryson, who was taken off ECMO today. As you know, this is a critical time for him too, so we will be keeping these sweet CDH boys in our prayers all day and for weeks to come. Just wanted you to know you people are praying all over the world.

    Blessings,
    Connie & Pat Clements
    Salem, OR

    ReplyDelete