Thursday, December 15, 2011

Thursday - A little good news

Hi friends,
My mind is all over the place and I am struggling with how to compose this post. Every day is so busy and we are so consumed by what is going on with Jude and all of the information that the doctors are sharing with us throughout the day. Often I struggle with the best way to communicate all of this information with all of you. I want to make sure that it is clear and purposeful. Please forgive me if this post seems to jump all over the place.

Here are a few highlights of the last two days:

- First, our positive news: This morning Jude had a visit from the respiratory therapist and Jude's lungs were expelling some of the fluid that was such a concern. The respiratory therapist said that quite a bit of "funk" came up and out! We are SO thankful for this answer to prayer. We are confident that the Lord's hand is in this amazing change. The nurse even commented, "we have no idea why he is coughing up the fluid...but we will take it!" Today Jude will continue to receive several treatments from the therapist so will you join us in continuing to pray for continued removal of the fluid in his lung? They hope to have another x-ray completed tonight to see if any progress has been made in removing the problematic fluid. Please pray for this X-ray. Pray that the Lord will allow the respiratory therapy to be productive and that he would resolve this issues completely. We are so thankful that so many of you have been praying for healing for the fluid on his lungs. Please keep praying!

- Please continue to pray for his bowels to remain decompressed and pray that they will continue to decompress. We need his bowels to be decompressed before the pediatric surgeons can even begin to consider doing Jude's CDH repair.

- Please pray for miraculous healing of his pulmonary hypertension. Last night we were told that Jude's pulmonary hypertension will continue to be an issue for quite some time. It may continue to be a problem after he comes off of ECMO and it may continue to be a problem after his CDH repair. Please join us in praying that this problem will be completely and surprisingly resolved.

- Brian is feeling much better. Last night he went to a local urgent care to find out a diagnosis. He found out that he has sinusitis so they gave his a steroid shot and some antibiotics to help him recover more quickly. He was given permission to visit Jude again with the condition that he wear a mask for the next 24 hours. He was SO happy to have time with our little guy again. It was so difficult to be away from him for 3 days. Thank you to all of you for praying for him.

-Last night during out visit with Jude I was given the opportunity to help give him his bath (sponge bath) and put lotion on him. It was so wonderful to participate in "normal" baby care for my son. It was so great to take part in caring for his needs.

- Recently we were informed of another problem that Jude is facing:  pleural effusion. This condition can be difficult to explain. Brian found a website that explains it this way:
There are two thin membranes in the chest, one (the visceral pleura) lining the lungs, and the other (the parietal pleura) covering the inside of the chest wall. Normally, small blood vessels in the pleural linings produce a small amount of fluid that lubricates the opposed pleural membranes so that they can glide smoothly against one another during breathing movements. Any extra fluid is taken up by blood and lymph vessels, maintaining a balance. When either too much fluid forms or something prevents its removal, the result is an excess of pleural fluid--an effusion. The most common causes are disease of the heart or lungs, and inflammation or infection of the pleura.
Please pray that the pleural effusion will clear up. The doctors have been trying several different methods in the last two days to clear up this problem but currently the pleural effusion remains. Please pray that the doctors methods will prove effective in the next few days!

Update! Later this afternoon Jude received another x-ray to get a look at his lungs after several respiratory treatments and there is a major change in the appearance of his lungs on the x-ray!!! Praise the Lord! In addition, they have changed the settings on the "stand by" ventilator to exercise his lungs a little more to help them "open up" a little more. This will help prepare his lungs for the BIG push after he comes off ECMO.

I apologize that it took me so long to post this blog! Thank you for continuing to check on Jude. We continue to be overwhelmed by the number of people praying for Jude. Thank you for taking time to let us know that you are praying for Jude and our family. Please continue to share Jude's story with others so that they can join us in praying for our little guy.

Please check back tomorrow for another update. Brian and I are alternating days on posting updates on the blog.

 O LORD, you have searched me and known me!
 You know when I sit down and when I rise up;
  you discern my thoughts from afar.
 You search out my path and my lying down
  and are acquainted with all my ways.
 Even before a word is on my tongue,
  behold, O LORD, you know it altogether.
 You hem me in, behind and before,
  and lay your hand upon me.
 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
  it is high; I cannot attain it.
(Psalm 139:1-6 ESV)

8 comments:

  1. Psalm 139 is my favorite! Praise God for good news!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian and Rose, I can't imagine the heartache you are going through. It breaks my heart to hear the struggle Jude is having to go through but also am thankful to hear how well he is doing as well. He certainly has a beautiful guardian angel watching over him. My heart breaks for you and Brian and we are here for you and are thinking of you everyday and praying for his health. If you need anything at all even just someone to say hey to or someone to listen we are here. We love yall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are constantly in my thoughts and prayers. Starla and I are praying for Jude and the two of you. It is such a blessing to read about how God is carrying you through this with His love and grace. You are an inspiration and a witness to so many people as you share your concerns and show your strong faith. We love you and are here if you need us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praise the Lord indeed! So happy to hear Jude's lungs are getting rid of the "funky" fluid!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am singing this for Jude and praying God will answer Jude's prayer. "Breathe on me Breath of God, fill me with life anew. That I may be what Thou wouldst be and do what Thou wouldst do." In Jesus Holy Name. Amen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ill take this as great news! Please give me a ring if you want to run Brian's sinus treatment by me. I don't normally approve of too many doctors in the mix, but just to make sure they did you right..
    Or check out my hints at providentent.com--treating your URI (cold)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are praying for you all. A pleural effusion is what caused Maddie's quick spiral downward and triggered the events that caused her death. Those words strike such fear in my heart. Please let me know if you would like to discuss this condition at length.

    Lisa
    ladibug4@gmail.com
    http://sandyspencebabies.blogspot.com/2011/08/explaining-what-happened-im-not-exactly.html

    ReplyDelete